Landscaping Home Gardens AHT103
DescriptionDesign your ideal garden.! Learn how to plan, lay out and construct your own home garden. Whether you want a garden which you can work in, play in or simply look at and feel proud of, then this course is for you. Topics covered include: designing gardens, styles of gardens, drawing plans, understanding soils, basic landscape construction, weeds & pests, planting & pruning, lawns & other surfacings, garden features, developing your own garden.
This course is designed to teach you how to design (or renovate) a home garden; and then, to maintain it.The subject aims above all to develop a solid understanding of the principles and procedures underlying the design and development of garden areas. …
Frequently asked questions
This course is designed to teach you how to design (or renovate) a home garden; and then, to maintain it.The subject aims above all to develop a solid understanding of the principles and procedures underlying the design and development of garden areas. The subject is relevant to both small and large landscapes, equally of value in developing a new home garden, or improving an existing one. Though consideration is given to both design and construction, the emphasis in this subject is on landscape design.
Each one of the ten assignments will require written answers to set questions (sometimes drawings), plus a series of plant reviews.
Six plants are to be illustrated and reviewed with each assignment. Each plant should be labeled with both scientific and common names plus details of size and shape, conditions it will grow in, maintenance requirements, lifespan, appearance (and any way it\'s appearance might change throughout the year) plus several recommendations as to suitable situations it could be used in by the landscaper.The ten lessons are as follows: 1 Designing Gardens
- the basics of design concepts through to understanding how to use them.2. Styles of Gardens
- formal, informal, natural, and other themes.
3. Drawing Plans ?Designing Gardens
- learn how to draw basic landscape features and garden designs.4. Understanding Soils
- clays, loams, sands - how to identify them and treat them for better plant growth.5. Basic Landscape Construction
- what is involved to build basic structures like steps, walls, paths, etc.6. Weeds & Pests
- how to identify and treat garden weeds and pests.7. Planting and Pruning
- techniques to plant, prune and care for garden plants.8. Lawns, paving and other surfacing
- care for various surfaces9. Garden Features
- how to select and use garden features in a landscape.10. Developing YOUR Garden - Special Project